Teammates: Jing Suo, Jerry John, Alex zhu, Wang Liang, Uwe Palm

My Role: UX Designer | UI Designer

Contribution: UX Research | UI Design 

Process: Research | Analysis | Synthesis | Ideation | Prototyping

The Big Data Analysis project spanned 3 months and covered the entire design process from research to final prototype. Our goal is to help marketing analyst to optimize their campaigns by making sense of all the data that's stored in different places and use it to deliver target offers and contents. We successfully helped the user to see which campaign is driving revenue and enabled them to do campaign-optimization by launching this web app. 

January, 2015 - March, 2015

- Transform Complexity into Opportunity

Big Data Analysis Apps

We successfully helped the user to see which campaign is driving revenue and enabled them to do campaign-optimization by launching this web app. 

 

Design Thinking Process

By comparing the features each product vendor provided, we were able to see what kind of features are shared by all the products, and what features are exclusively owned by some certain competitors. 

For each person we interviewed with, we categorize our notes about them into different categories in oder to see how do they feel about the tool. This gave us a clear idea of what's lacking in the tools and helped us to see how can we better the design. 

We collected the design of analytical tools that are currently on the market. We noted down every components from each competitor’s products. And then we categorized and consolidated them using affinity diagram. 

 

Competitive Analysis

We followed the design thinking process to solicit user's need
to perform user-centered research. In order to understand
user's real need, we did observation and interviews with users and then we help them define their point-of-view for their goal. Then we brainstorm on different ideas and prototype the
ideas using Axure. And then we conducted usability tests to validate our design. 

We observed the end-users using their existing analytical tool and interviewed with them afterwards. We also spoke to people who have similar experiences in their current roles or in the past to see what would make their daily tasks easier. 

Observation & Interview

We mapped users' needs with the competitive analysis we did to see what function we should keep in our new design, and what features we should be adding to it. 

Need Mapping

We generated a user persona to express the major needs and help us focus on the most important user groups. 

Persona

The use case scenario provided a reality check for our designs, allowed us to see how the interaction will play out in the real work environment. 

 

For example, the users told us they would love to have the
ability to track the traffic trend using the application. And the ability to mark where they make changes to the campain is also an desired feature to our end users. This gave us a clear picture of the user needs along with which part of the audience will need those features.  

The persona helped us as a team to share a specific, consistent understanding of the audience group. This also enabled the proposed solution be guided by how well they meet the needs of the users, as we were stressing on
user-centered design. 

We generated a storyboard to illustrate the use case for the our design and map our ideas about what the user needs to their day-to-day tasks and workflow. 

Storyboard

Besides the defaut theme, we provided the users with different theme options for them to choose from at will. The users were pleasantly surprised by this extra feature. 

Theme Options